How To Write An Academic Paper: A Step-By-Step Guide For Beginners
Academic papers are tricky assignments for beginners in writing. The pitfalls lie in wait for students at every turn, as they walk into these traps without doubts. To make your first writing journey a safe one and reach the finish line, you require a step-by-step guide to follow.
The web is full of helpful manuals that suggest tips to successful academic writing. However, many of these recommendations are outdated and irrelevant. Here, we offer a professional guide composed by our experienced writers. This handbook has nothing to do with grammar rules or topic proposals, but it has everything you need to write a perfect academic paper from the first shot.
The 5 Main Steps To Writing A Brilliant Academic Paper Are:
- Academic Paper Writing Tips and Principles
- Academic Paper Do’s and Don’ts
- Academic Paper Style and Outline
- Academic Paper Introduction
- The Best Way to Write a Brilliant Paper is …
7 Ways To Excel In Writing An Academic Paper – Become A Pro
Before we delve into the background of effective academic writing, let’s start with the very beginning. To become a superior writer, you need to be aware of general tips and tricks that work for any writing case.
How to write an academic paper like a pro author? Try these simple prompts:
- Don’t be afraid of your ideas. Write down every thought that pops into your mind. Don’t hope to make an ideal text from the first attempt. Create a draft to work with, as the more findings you have, the more insightful your paper is going to be.
- Aim for simplicity. Long complicated texts are hard to comprehend. Make your work clear and understandable for any reader. Clarity is the No.1 thing to pursue when working on an academic task.
- Always start with a plan. Outline development is an integral part of any writing process. A well-thought blueprint helps you follow a specific structure, keep track of the logical flow, and don’t let any essential information slip away.
- Start from any part but the introduction. Trying to write a copy from the very beginning can be an unnecessary waste of time. To know what to write about in the first paragraph, make a research first. Once all the findings are put together, create an arresting and meaningful opening.
- Avoid things you don’t get. The main goal of any academic research paper is to help you obtain new knowledge on a certain notion. Still, it is advisory to keep things simple and avoid complex subjects you don’t understand.
- The less is the better. Keep your paragraphs and sentences short. Long pieces are difficult to read, they force readers to lose their attention quickly, destroying any interest in the topic.
- Become a fair-minded writer. Give your paper an unbiased opinion. Look at your writings and arguments indifferently. Make a fair judgment of everything you have discovered and cut down insignificant parts that stuff the text.
Now that you have been introduced to the fundamentals of academic writing, let’s come down from generalities to particulars!
Academic Term Papers Do’s And Don’ts: 10 Rules You Need To Succeed
You need to follow these simple rules to write academic term papers easily and to the point:
- Pay attention to instructions. Academic paper format is regulated. Nevertheless, writing requirements may vary depending on the institution and academic level. Be attentive and always refer to your instructions before writing the text.
- Determine the goal of your academic paper. There are various types of academic papers, each of the category has a specific purpose to fulfill. The three main types are expository, analytical, and argumentative.
- Find applicable resource materials. The more relevant data you gather, the better your study is going to be. Search for web encyclopedias and libraries or go to an actual library, examine various books, publications, reports, and reviews.
- Keep your findings organized. The research process can get messy. Therefore, it is better to keep your data systemized. Create a spreadsheet or use another organizing tool to keep your findings in order and easy access.
- Proofreading is a must. If you don’t believe in the power of self-check, don’t expect to get an excellent grade for your assignment. No matter how good you are at writing, re-reading your work from A to Z is the key to success.
Stay away from the following writing traps:
- Don’t use passive voice. Active voice is every writer’s best friend.
- Don’t change the overall tone. Stay focused, stay true to your mood, and keep it in between the formal and informal.
- Don’t ignore the requirements. Adhere to the required academic style, make correct citations, do exactly what your prof expects from you.
- Don’t overwhelm the text. The surfeit of personal pronouns, parenthetic words, and quotes lowers text readability and clarity.
- Don’t neglect the initial outline. It is okay to make slight amendments to your plan, as you can find better options in the process of writing an academic paper. However, significant changes can lead you to the dead end, turning your text into a medley of different ideas.
Nothing stops you now? There might be several misunderstandings left. Time to shed some light on remaining confusions and set down to writing. The clock is ticking.
Paper Outline, Citation, And Other Things You Need To Know
Academic paper formatting makes all learners sweat at first. The problem is that there are too many academic styles and too many rules to follow. APA, MLA, Turabian, Chicago, and other styles exist to bring more stress and head-ache to every student’s life.
The good news is that you can find free online tools and templates to format your paper. Not so good news is that these tools might not offer the required academic style. They can also make mistakes.
So we advise you to format the paper yourself. Follow these steps to make it hands-down:
Step 1: Find the guidelines for your academic format.
Step 2: Make a list of all the demands, including requirements imposed on:
- Title and reference pages.
- Abstract and main body.
- Font and page header/running head.
- Margins, spacing, indentions.
- In-text citations.
Note: It is crucial to make your own list. It is the best way to ensure you understand every single requirement. When you open a suggested manual on the web, you see a medley of rules and start to stress out. Keep calm, read the guide carefully, single out what’s important, and arrange your own list of rules.
Step 3: Once the text is finished, go through the list step-by-step. Make necessary amendments and you’re done!
Don’t forget to make a plan for your future paper. The text has to have a specific structure. The blueprint not only helps you write the paper effectively but also becomes a draft of the upcoming structure.
A conventional structure of an academic research paper consists of three main parts: introduction, body part, and conclusion. The subparts depend on various factors, such as your academic level, discipline, paper format, and individual requirements. Consult with your prof if you have a lack of understanding of your paper structure.
How To Write A Killing Introduction: Find Your Opening Line
An introduction is probably the most important part of your academic paper. Some may argue that there is no point in having a brilliant opening if the paper lacks meaningful research in general. We strongly disagree with this opinion.
First, the introduction sets the mood for the entire paper. Not only for you as a writer but also for your reader. If the opening is badly written, it creates a negative impression that lasts and might not be fixed by a great research part. In the worst-case scenario, the reader decides to stop reading your work after the introduction.
Second, the introduction is your secret weapon. It can help you hide all points of weakness, insufficient groundwork included. If you aren’t proud of the research part, compensate it with a meaningful introduction.
That is why it is vital to have a killing intro. It has to sparkle attention not root out one. Professors are human beings after all. They can get bored and irritated, or they can get surprised and interested. Plus, writing the beginning is not that big of a deal. The web is full of creative opening lines and eye-catching phrases that will help you make a stunning impression.
In Case You Need An Academic Research Paper That Scores The Best Grade…
When you sit down to write your first academic paper, you need to understand clearly what is expected of you. Try to answer the following questions to check your readiness:
- What is an academic paper?
- What do you know about the topic?
- Are you sure you can present an informed argument?
- Can you be both critical and analytical?
- Have you decided on a rhetorical stance?
- Do you know the basic principles of academic writing?
- Are you sure you can finish the paper on time?
Does any of these questions cause hesitation? Then maybe you need to wait a little bit more. Postpone writing the paper yourself and devote this time to reading helpful literature and examining free paper samples. Don’t be afraid to ask your teacher for help. You can also ask our professional writers to show you the magic of writing brilliant academic papers.
Online 24/7, they can become your best guides in the world of academic writing. An experienced writer will take your paper instructions as an example and create an A+ grade paper from scratch. Meanwhile, you can supervise the writing process, ask questions, take notes, and learn the principles of academic writing from a real professional.
The next time you’re assigned with a paper, you’ll be ready to write it yourself without second thoughts. And you’ll always have a trusted online helper in case of additional questions, lack of time to write the work yourself, or any other obstacles.
Don’t be shy. Contact us now!